8 Ways To Avoid Back Pain At The Workplace
ManipalHospitals • March 19, 2018 • 0 Comment
If your work involves you spending a major part of your day slouched over your computer in a chair, or hectic movements and lifting loads, you’re probably familiar with the sensation of back pain and other spine-related problems. Here are some tips to avoid this painful condition:
- Walk Around: Get up, stretch and walk for about a minute or two regularly, preferably every half hour or so. Even minimal movement, like walking to get water or to go to the rest room, helps promote blood flow.
- Lift Properly: While lifting heavy objects ensure you are in a stable position, lift from hip level, keep your back as straight as possible and avoid twisting your back.
- Sit Correctly: Pick a chair which offers good lumbar support, and which allows your thighs to slightly angle down while allowing you to place your feet flat on the ground.
- Heads Up: Align your head and neck straight above your shoulders and avoid straining forward. Adjust your monitor so the top is approximately at the level of your chin.
- Proper Standing Posture: While standing, keep your head in line with your shoulders and ankles. Distribute your weight evenly on both your feet.
- Don’t cross your legs: Cross-legged posture makes it difficult to keep your spine straight and interrupts the blood flow in your legs, which may result in varicose veins.
- Focus on breathing: Breathe deeply and focus on engaging your core abdominal muscles by drawing your abdomen towards your spine.
- Adequate Armrest: Ensure your upper arms are parallel to your spine and rest your elbows at a 90 degree angle to take the strain off your neck and shoulders.